Gourami is a type of freshwater fish. It has thick flesh with delicious fat. In Sundanese cuisine, West Java, gourami is often deep-fried until crisp, but here we would cook crisp fried gourami combined with traditional Balinese sambal (traditional spicy sauce) known as sambal matah. It is a perfect condiment for grilled fish or chicken, and even more so for this fried gourami recipe.
Ingredients for Fried Gurame
1. 2 gourami (+ 700 gr).
2. tbsp lime fruit juice .
3. 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped.
4. 1 tsp ground coriander.
5. 1 cm turmeric, peeled and chopped.
6. 1 tsp salt (sea salt).
How to cook
1. Remove scales from the fish, open the fish abdomen with a 3-inch incision, remove the innards, make three incisions at the surface of the gourami, wash and clean well. Smear it with lime fruit water, leave for up to 15 minutes, wash it again, set aside.
2. Use a food processor or a mortar and pestle, mix garlic, ground coriander, turmeric, sea salt, and cold water to form a fine seasoning paste.
3. Smear the gourami with the seasoning paste evenly, leave it for up to 30 minutes so that the seasoning is well absorbed.
4. Preheat the cooking oil in a frying pan, fry the gourami until golden brown, remove from the pan and drain it.
Ingredients for Sambal Matah
1. Thai chilies (according to the needs).
2. 10 cloves of shallots.
3. 5 cloves of garlic.
4. ½ teaspoon baked terasi (shrimp paste).
5. 2 lemongrasses.
6. 2 kaffir lime leaves, wash and dice.
7. ¼ teaspoon salt.
8. ¼ teaspoon sugar.
9. ½ tablespoon lime juice.
10. 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
How to cook
1. Peel shallots and garlic, wash and cut to slices. Set aside.
2. Wash chilies and and cut to slices. Set aside.
3. Peel and leave the outer parts of lemongrass, and cut to slices. Set aside.
4. Mix all of the sliced ingredients in one bowl. Add salt, sugar, lime juice, and coconut oil. Mix well using a tablespoon or your hand (remember to wash your hand beforehand or use gloves to maintain cleanliness)
5. Pour the chili sauce over the fried gourami and the fried gurami with sambal matah ready to serve.